How Do Parking Lot Maintenance Contractors Use Wire Wheels for Asphalt Crack Repairs?
Asphalt crack cleaners are typically walk-behind, gas-powered machines that require only a single person to operate. They usually feature a wire wheel with a diameter of approximately eight inches. The operator positions the wire wheel so that it fits inside the crack, then starts the engine. These machines are powerful enough to remove vegetation, blast out debris, and remove sand and gravel.
How Do Parking Lot Maintenance Contractors Use P.A.T. Torches for Asphalt Crack Repairs?
These devices are portable hot air heat lances. They rely on a propane tank and an air compressor to generate flame, heat, and air. Most torch assemblies have a temperature output of 2,000 to 2,400 degrees Fahrenheit and a BTU rating of around 300,000 at 55 psi. Therefore, they are powerful enough to blast out dirt and debris as well as remove moisture from the interior of the crack.
Is a Wire Wheel or a Torch Better for Asphalt Crack Repairs?
Either method can provide a significant reduction in labor hours as well as manual effort. However, before making a decision, you should consider all of the potential pros and cons of each if you cant have both in you aresenal.
1. A complete P.A.T. assembly is significantly less expensive than a wire wheel crack cleaner machine. However, it is important to note that neither of them carries an exorbitant price. Therefore, many asphalt repair professionals choose to keep both in their toolbox.
2. With a torch, your range is limited to the length of your gas hose. Most heat lance assemblies come with a hose that is no more than 50 feet in length. Although this is usually not an issue on most projects, it could be potentially problematic on others.
3. Hot air lances can remove moisture in cracks, so they can be especially beneficial in areas where the humidity levels are routinely excessive. They can also be useful when repairing cracks at night if temperatures drop below the dew point.
4. Experienced operators will find little difference in speed between the two methods. However, some operators give a slight edge to a wire wheel cleaner as being faster to refuel.
5. When it comes to repairing cracks in cold weather, most professionals tend to prefer hot air lances. Heat lances can increase the temperature of the pavement. This can sometimes be an important factor in deciding whether to proceed or reschedule.
If You Need Additional Help or Recommendations, Contact B&E Seal Coat Products
At B & E Sealcoat Products, we pride ourselves on offering the best asphalt products at the best prices. In addition to offering Sealcoating Additives, we offer an extensive selection of products, tools, and supplies. Whether you need eco-friendly sealcoating, hand tools, power washing equipment, line stripers, sealcoat tanks, mastic, wearable safety gear, traffic signs, snow removal products, stencils, crack sealing equipment, lights, asphalt repair equipment, line striping accessories, or asphalt prep equipment, you can count on us for high-quality items at competitive prices. We offer free delivery on most of the items we sell. If you would like us to prepare a quote for you, simply use our online form to send us your information, or call 616-608-6169.