Starting something new can be difficult when you are unsure of where to begin. We are here to tell you that not only can you start an asphalt crack filling operation but you can get started and succeed with the right tools. You can follow these guidelines to find success in your new field. All it takes is the right equipment and a can do attitude.
Hot Rubber Crack repairs are one of the biggest and most important needs when it comes to asphalt maintenance. Asphalt is a 100% recyclable product and can be installed much easier and more efficiently than concrete. One thing about asphalt is that it is a little softer material, but much easier to repair. Unsealed asphalt is open to damage from things like chemicals, weather conditions, and standing water. Preventative maintenance is necessary to keep asphalt at its peak by sealcoating it regularly with a every 2-3 year re-seal cycle. However, sometimes things happen with the sub base freeze thaw cycles allowing weather to cause cracks to appear. The steps below will get you started on how to repair those issues.
The biggest thing is preparation. You want to make sure that you have a clean and clear surface before you apply any crack sealer. Debris and vegetation (Weeds, grass, etc), can cause the filler to be ineffective. The next step is to apply the crack filler. It needs to be hot when applied, so we’ll take a look at some melters that can get the job done. Finally, you want to apply to filler and then make sure it fills evenly. So you’ll want to use these tools to get a clean and clear surface before you start.
- Blowers – This tool is a “must have” in order to clear dirt and debris from the surface quickly. You can wheel the blow anywhere you want while you are using high force winds to remove the debris. Just like this blower from little wonder.
- Crack Torches or weed burners – These are handy when it comes to clearing weeds, grass, and other small nuisances from the cracks you need to fill. A torch like this can make the difference.
- Crack Cleaners – Blowers can’t always reach down into all the cracks. In situations like this you can use a motorized crack cleaner or crack grazor to do the job quickly and efficiently.
- RynoWorx has several melters that can get the job done. The RY10MA can melt and apply up to 400 feet per hour; 3200 feet per day. If you want a little more productivity then you can go for the RY30MK-Pro. It is the world’s first 30-Gallon direct fired crack fill melter kettle featuring dual internal burners. We also carry the Gingway crack sealant melter kettle line.
- A Pull “V” Filler Squeegee allows you to pull filler and sealant into cracks and areas that need repair neatly and cleanly.
- This Speed Banding Hot Rubber Machine dispenses a uniform 3″ (76mm) banded finish up to 1/8″ (3mm) thick over cracks to make fill in easy.
So there you have it! In 3 easy steps and with the right equipment you can be filling crack in no time. We have multiple options available for our tools so make sure you check out our online store for more info. Of course if you have any questions be sure to let us know, and we’ll be happy to help you.